Quality, One-of-a-Kind Knits!

Sunday, 18 January 2009

Looking Back: 2008 in Review

Just to preface my little review of 2008, I've been working on being self-employed for a while now. I've been a knitter and designer for most of my life and have designed and knit many things for myself, my family and friends, and have even sold a few things over the years. Many people have told me that I should sell more of my work, but it's easier said than done.

In January of 2006 I found the CSSD website and checked out the Business Abilities program. I was officially approved to take the program in February and started on Phase 1,

I completed Phase 1 and my first Business Plan in the summer of 2007, then started Phase 2, Business Start Up. The first step to be completed in my business plan was to take some accounting and web design courses.

Sooooo...I applied to take the online distance learning IBDE Web Design Training through Selkirk College in Nelson, BC. I also applied to take some Accounting courses through the online distance learning program at the College of the Rockies, in Cranbrook, BC.

So, what did I accomplish in 2008, my "Year of Education". I started the IBDE program in November of 2007 and completed it at the end of April, 2008. I learned to use HTML, XHTML, CSS, Microsoft Expressions, and Photoshop Elements 5. During June and July, 2008, I took two beginners courses for PHP and MYSQL.

At the same time, I started my basic accounting courses in October of 2007 and in October of 2008, I completed my 4th and final course. Whew!

Now, here I am in January of 2009, I'm feeling... mmm, confused! I have all this new-found knowledge in my head, ideas for many knitting designs swirling around in there, and a business to launch. Where do I start?

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

Adit Creation said...

Nice blog it is maintained good and also have good post about Web Design and Graphic Web Design.